Position: Part-Time Children’s Library Associate (15 - 25 hours per week)
Description: Assists the Supervisor of Children’s Services in creating, implementing, and presenting programs for children ages 1-18 years of age and child related programs for parents, caregivers and teachers. Assists the Supervisor of Children’s Services in developing and maintaining a reference and circulating collection for juvenile patrons. Performs a variety of standard clerical and professional duties, including routine library tasks directly related to computerized procedures, including checking library materials in and out; collecting library fines and fees; issuing library cards; assisting patrons in use of library catalog; assisting patrons with reference and reader advisory needs; responding to routine inquiries regarding library policies and procedures; shelving and straightening materials; other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with children.
- Demonstrates creativity through a variety of programs and storytelling techniques.
- Strong background in children's literature and knowledge of children's behaviors.
- Knows reference sources in a variety of formats.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Provides service to the community and schools through programming, teacher collection services, and other Library services.
- Must possess computer skills, experience with databases or library circulation software is highly desired.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize and handle confidential information.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to answer phone and utilize other basic office equipment such as fax machine, photocopier, scanner.
- Must have the physical ability to place and arrange books on shelves ranging from floor level to 7’ high.
- Must have the visual acuity to correctly see small type and images on a computer screen.
- Manipulates library materials up to 15 pounds.
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift, stoop, crouch and push a fully loaded book cart.
- Must project a positive and pleasant attitude to the public and cooperate and maintain an effective relationship with other staff members as part of a team.
- Must have regular and predictable attendance.
Education: Bachelor’s degree desirable. Experience working in a public services unit of a public library, proficient in the use of library catalogs and library circulation systems, experience working with children, preferred.
Download a Franklin-Springboro Public Library employment application.
The Franklin-Springboro Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be kept on file for 6 months.